Minutes Sydney University Boat Club Special General Meeting.

                  Wednesday 30th August 2017, Thyne Reid Boathouse.

Attendees:

Sarah Cook, John Boultbee, William Raven, Wallis Russell, Dyone Bettega, Marcus Britt, Tobias Wehr-Candler, Kerrie Bigsworth, Morgan Brooking, Nathan Young, Carina Simpson, Lauren Fornasaro, Andrew Judge, Cameron Girdlestone and Don McLachlan.

Apologies:

Chris Noel, Anne Titterton and Gillian O’Malley.

-      Meeting opened 6:33pm

o   Welcome by Sarah Cook.

-          Launch of the new SUBC Website

o   Thanks to Hanne Trafnik.

o   New website address – www.subc.com.au

-          Changes to the Boat Club Constitution

o   Details of changes on attached document.

o   All changes were run through and explained by Sarah Cook, John Boultbee noted that the entire document was reviewed by a number of people, with the rest of the document deemed to be of a high standard, with the changes implemented being minor changes in the wording of the document.

o   Thanks to all involved in the review of the constitution.

o   Moved by John Boultbee, Seconded by Kerrie Bigsworth. Unanimously agree upon by all attendees.

-          Adoption of the Boat Club Strategic Plan

o   Document attached.

o   Brief explanation by Tobias Wehr-Candler of the process that was undertaken to produce the document, explanation that the strategic plan is for all to read and give guidance on the growth of the club. It was explained that behind the strategic plan the coaches have an operational plan that will guide how to achieve the goals set out in the strategic plan.

o   Note of how impressed stakeholders are with the strategic plan, and the initiative of the club to have such structure.

o   Thanks to all involved in the production of the document, special thanks to Tobias Wehr-Candler.

o   Feedback;

§  Kerrie Bigsworth;

§  Congratulations on the document.

§  Ensuring that stakeholders (new and existing) are involved and communicated with.

§  Clarifying that the executive committee will use this as a working document to assist decision making.

§  Making sure the club uses good governance practices.

o   Moved by William Raven, Seconded by Morgan Brooking. Unanimously agree upon by all attendees.

-          Boat Club Blazer

o   The design and sample of the blazer was presented to the meeting.

o   A brief explanation of why the committee felt the need for the blazer, with mention of how many athletes the club had touring overseas each year and the need for formal club attire.

o   It was cleared up that those with a Blue can choose which blazer to wear at any occasion, and that the Blue can be worn in crew situations when touring as it is an honours blazer.

o   The SUBC blazer does not have any specific criteria to be able to wear it, simply that the individual must be a full-time member of SUBC.

o   Moved by Marcus Britt, Seconded by Wallis Russell.

-          Upcoming Events:

o   The Australian Boat Race 22nd October – Melbourne;

§  It was noted that the race this year will be in Melbourne, and the club would appreciate any support in blue and gold on the banks of the river for the race.

o   The SUBC Annual Dinner 4th Nov;

§  The SUBC Annual Dinner will be held on the 4th November, at the Grandstand Bar, Oval No.1 Sydney University.
Tickets:
$90 Under 18
$110 Students
$120 Adult/Alumni

The Dinner has a capacity of 120 people.

o   Alumni row and BBQ;

§  Planned for late 2017, with the aim of re-engaging alumni of all ages.

o   Season opening party:

§  9th September, time to be confirmed.

§  A party to celebrate the success of the 2017 winter, and to officially kick off the 2017/2018 season. All members welcome, with particular emphasis on welcoming the school leaver group to the club.

-          The meeting was closed at 7:14pm

 

Changes to the Boat Club Constitution. These were adopted by the Special General Meeting and sent to Sydney University Sports and Fitness for Approval by their Management Committee.

Proposed & Accepted Changes to the SUBC Constitution - Spec General Meeting 31st August 2017

1. Change of name from:

“Draft Constitution of the amalgamated Sydney University Boat Club and Sydney University Women’s Rowing Club”.

To: “Constitution of the Sydney University Boat Club”

2. Change to points 9. & 10. Differentiation between Honorary SUBC Life Membership and Honorary Membership. Under Point 9. The removal of the words

“Honorary Members cannot nominate for Executive Committee positions or vote at any SUBC elections or committee meetings” and replace with:

“Honorary Life Members may hold positions on the Executive Committee and vote at club elections, provided they have paid their SUSF subscription fee.”

3. Point 19 d, to include the SUSF as well as SUBC membership for the eligibility of potential office bearers. Changing the clause from;

“The office bearers of SUBC are to be elected annually at the Annual

General Meeting of SUBC. Only members of the Club shall be eligible to be

elected to the Executive Committee of the Club. “

To:

“The office bearers of SUBC are to be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting of SUBC. Only current financial members of SUSF and current members or persons eligible to be members of the Club shall be eligible to be elected to the Executive Committee of the Club”

4. Addition of clause C to point 24;

“Membership of Sub-Committee is determined by the Executive Committee. The Chair of any Sub-Committee must be an officer of the Executive Committee.”

5. Addition of clause A to point 25;

“a current financial member of SUSF, and, a current Club member or persons eligible for membership of the Club. Any person not a current member of the Club needs to fulfil any eligibility requirements before nominations of candidates close as per Clause 24 of this Cons

 

 Minutes of the Sydney University Boat Club Executive Committee 23rd August 2017

Present: Sarah Cook (President) Will Raven (Vice President)

Marcus Britt (Men’s Captain) Dyone Bettega (Women’s Captain) Wallis Russell (Undergrad Rep)

Chris Noel (Secretary)  John Boultbee (Treasurer)  Wallis Russell (Undergrad Rep), Dustyn Butler (Director of Rowing)

 

1.       Overseas Tour Reports.

DB: Tours very successful. Some great development from athletes. Hugely beneficial for fringe athletes.

CN: Debbie doing report on Canadian Henley. 6 U23 girls – won 2 golds and made great improvement. Report and recommendations will be ready by 25 Aug.

CN: have requested brief report from DM on first China trip. SUBC won IURR

       2nd China Trip managed by Alan Bennett and coached by Charly Irons also won

U21 Wheatley and Walsh – CW won 6 of 6 events on Sydney leg and DW won 4 of 6.

U23: Wallis Russell U23 LW4x - 6th in A Final

          Andrew Judge U23 M4+ - 5th in A Final

          Rafaela Stalph U23 W4- - 2nd in B Final

          Genevieve Horton & Rowena Meredith U23 W4x - Silver in A final

  Senior Team:  8 athletes at 2 World Cups and attending World Champs Florida, September

 Korea Trip – crew left Sunday under Ray Boyle. As meeting progressed we got news that women’s four won and men’s four second – the mixed eight (combining the two fours also won)

Total of 48 SUBC athletes have travelled overseas on winter period tours.

Coaches involved: Debbie Fox, Alfie Young, Ray Boyle, Charly Iron, Gillian Campbell, Don McLachlan, Will Raven and Alan Bennett (manager)

 

WR: Producing overall report /story for website.

 

2.       Club Clothing

WR/MB – these two are managing clothing. As funds accumulated being transferred to Trust account and advised to Treasurer

Actions required:

a)      Clothing List with photos and prices

b)      Order form to circulate

c)       Stocktake required for club

d)      Lists to Notice Boards and Sec to circulate to all

WR/MB follow up school rowers in winter program who missed out on zoot suits – get addresses for posting zooties

 

3.       Special General Meeting 30th Aug Preparation

CN/SC to review changes required for Life Memberships /voting

Strategic Plan – some wording changes required SC will arrange

JB: spoke of need to circulate Strategic Plan to stakeholders

WR: Will will present new Club blazer

CN: email Blazer order form to all members, parents, alumni

4.       Treasurer’s Report tabled – John Boultbee

a)      John reported current budget position

b)      JB moved that $60K be moved as budgeted from Foundation to SUBC Club account to make up for payments made for new boats. Motion approved

c)       JB moved that Club contribute $1,000 to new SUSF Bruce Ross Scholarship. Motion approved.

d)      CN mentioned that we have a reconciliation issue between membership funds shown is accounts as received for2017 and amounts shown on membership list. DB agreed to assist CN to do full reconciliation to accounts. CN reported we should have another $20K in addition to funds showing.

e)      JB mentioned we have $11K in Foundation reserved for Rowing Development. JB suggested we use this amount plus $19K of the $42K surplus in our contra account and transfer $30K to SUSF for investment in the USSF (Sports Foundation) to create a Boat Club Scholarship. JB mentioned that this would attract some SUSF funds and university funds.

Scholarship Proposal moved by JB, seconded by WR – Motion approved

f)       JB mentioned Boat sales of $34 K in 2017n budget not reached and total way short. DB reported that due to growth of club some boats had to be retained. However DB mentioned that these boats could be sold now:

Thorn 2x$2K

Thom 2x$3K

Shepherd 4-/4x $9,000

Resolved to offer these boats for sale immediately.

g)      DB mentioned the boats from RA (Sykes Sculls) now available and wants to proceed with purchase of 2 single sculls. This would increase the purchases in 2017 but DB mentioned this would present an opportunity to lower boat purchase budget for 2018.

h)      Committee approved purchase 2 x additional sculls.

i)        Committee requested that DB, DMC and TWC meet to amend 2018 Boat Purchase plan and present to Treasurer and next Committee.

j)        MLC School - JB reported on details of planned arrangement with MLC using some space in Glebe BH. This is with SUSF to complete and some issues re allocation of funds. CN provided details of purchase of Glebe shed and also basic of arrangements there.

Committee approved proposed arrangement and left to SC and JB to finalize with SUSF

k)      JB reported on the need he felt to achieve some returns from boat house in down periods. Requested the Committee to look into possible arrangements for use within Sydney University Community. Committee approved so doing.

l)        JB advised excess spending on admin. This included tix for SUBC State Team members at KC/QC Lunch, NSW Awards Night etc. SC mentioned the need for SUBC to be properly represented at these functions and to participate in Rowing NSW activities.

Resolved for SUBC to have official table at KC Lunch, Rowing NSW Awards, RA Rower of the Year Awards

m)    JB advised that efforts to fill Admin PT position not successful so far. DB expressed concerns that more other support was needed and it was agreed to ask DB to review possible support needed in areas like coaching, boatman and administrator.

5.       President Update:

a)      SC circulated Club Allotment process to Committee before meeting.

Resolved SC, JB and DB would meet to arrange SUBC Allotment submission which is due 2nd Oct. Another Exec Committee meeting will be held before this deadline.

b)      Rowing Australia – Thank you letter for contribution to National under age teams tabled.

c)       SUBC Alumni Program:

SC mentioned desire to start Alumni Program to engage all ages of club alumni with the club and with each other.

Idea is to ensure Alumni receive some club items with alumni membership.

Idea is to start better engagement now we have new shed.

SC suggested initial Alumni Function this year.

Format debated but agreed to be on a Saturday with rowing opportunities from 4 pm. Drinks and snacks for 6-8pm. Suggested a few athletes be on hand for informal interviews re their club activities and rest of event is focused alumni engagement with club and each other.

SC suggested we ask Lizzi Chapman for assistance to update women’s alumni list. Also Dyone agreed to assist CN and Lizzi to update lists.

CN requested to advise suitable date late November (before SUSF Blues Dinner) – suggested Saturday 25th November

6.       Director of Rowing Report (DBU)

a)      DBU reported on recruitment. He and CN have spoken with about 18 boys and around 15 have been at the shed. Alfie has 12 year 12 girls in his squad rowing Mon and Friday.

CN mentioned that women’s recruitment difficult. Women seem less inclined to meet about possible courses and rowing opportunities than the men. So far 3 have met and 2 more coming. CN mentioned that demand from US colleges seems so high that average women rowers can get offers.

CN requested that SC meet Alfie’s squad this Friday at 7 am as they come off the water and talk. Might provide role model and more relevant face.

b)  DBU suggested time for social occasion after rowing. Suggested Sat 9th Sept. Athletes and if possible school leavers and parents could join in. BBQ and drinks. To be organized now – possibly by Captain MB and DBE and Vice Pres in conjunction with coaches and Director.

Timing to be decided by DBU in consultation with Alfie Young.

c)   Upcoming Events

i)   AUG Rowing – Team selected – awaiting Don Mc to select crews

DBU mentioned costly and difficult AUG registration process – to take to SUSF

Rowing at Wyaralong Dam away from Gold Coast (50 + minutes driving)

WR mentioned need to take extra rower – important – if we have any illness we won’t be able to row the men’s eight – DNU agreed to address this issue with WR

ii)   Aus Boat Race – Yarra River, Melbourne Sunday 22nd October

Pippa Temperley at SUSF is booking accommodation and airfares. CN expressed concern that must be done urgently at Dorcas and accommodation can be heavily booked near city.

CN to follow up with Pippa

CN added we need to provide rowing suit sizes to Melbourne / 776BC

CN added – need course or graduate requirements of competitors for verification of eligibility by SUSF and forward to Melb Uni as host. They must provide us with their crew lists and eligibility.

 

iii)  New Boats Christening Date – to set – possibly on Alumni Day – last Sat in Nov? 25th Nov?

Boats: Purnell / Townsend/ Wilson??/ Erickson/ Boultbee V plus other new boats.

DBU to provide list of boats for Committee to name.

iv)   Jan 2018 Training Camp booked

DBU reported we might need to book additional accommodation depending on recruitment numbers.

Gym booking to do

Food Roster to do (CN to contact parents)

v)     DBU is producing a list of all season regattas and camps. Will circulate to club members.

7.   Boatshed Issues

i)    Hanging Photos – CN to get The Hangman down to advise and quote

Steve Newnham has John Welch 70’s photos. JB can you arrange to get to shed

ii)   Honour Boards
CN to arrange Leichhardt Trophies to give quote.

Australian Sen Reps and Life Members

iii)  Sound system for erg area. CN reported Flatout Electrical (Brad) quoted $1700 for amp and 2 speakers plus all wiring and fitting. Resolved to proceed.

We will need to add a cabinet for the amp.

iv)   DBU will arrange further noticeboard with SUSF for near front entrance.

v)   SUBC signs on boatshed – CN to approach SUSF

vi)   BU – new ladder to replace one ladder quoted at $3,000. To decide with SUSF and CIS – which ladder to replace and who will be paying?

CN: need to see ladder so that we can be confident it will be safe and useful.

vii)   DBU reported on upgrades to pontoon. Reinforcing around ramp and rollers. A very good job thanks to SUSF/CIS

8.       General Business

i)    Local yacht owner would like to bring yacht alongside staging to hose down periodically. Committee agreed – DBU to follow through.

ii)  Masters Open Days at Glebe approved 14th and 22nd October. CN to put notice on FB, website.

iii)  Newington Masters request – Committee agreed subject to other Glebe proposal we can’t do.

 

Meeting closed ta 8.30 pm